-->
SHOP   |   HOME   |  ABOUT   |   ART   |  TWITTER

Wednesday 3 July 2013

Moving and Arriving

Leaving my home of the UK to come live with my parents in South Africa (Where I was born) Has been actually.. quite a stressful task.
Its strange to move and live in a whole other country, but luckily my parents have made our transition here easier. Its going to take me some time to get used to way things work here and I would like to explain the small changes I have experienced with you.


So to start this off :)

1) In the UK, you have to fill your own petrol. Over here in South Africa, they have petrol attendants who do this for you. Strange and awkward when you hit some poor guy with your car door, while apologizing and asking what on earth he was doing standing by your car. "Sorry dude".

2) I don't know about all houses but our house here in South Africa has no heating :p and yes before you say "but its South Africa, Its supposed to be roasting there"... You are not entirely correct. South Africa has a winter and a summer! Winter can be chilly and houses here keep cold (comes in handy for the intense heat of the summer!) In Scotland obviously all houses have heating! ITS A MUST, OR YOU WILL DIE! Okay that's an exaggeration, but it is bloody cold especially in older houses!

3) INTERNET! In the UK we personally were used to BT Infinity, uncapped broadband, to which we were getting crazy high speeds, and unlimited downloads (Any computer geeks dream right) We spent £50 all in a month for this privilege, this included the home phone, line rental, and usually our monthly phone bill all in.
And here, internet.... Not so good! We don't particularly want to be tied down to a monthly contract with internet here (Makes things more difficult we know) No internet provider here covers our area very well... even the ones which are contracted! Very low speeds and ALL CAPPED! At the moment we are spending R500 for 10gig data. 10 GIG! Yes feel sorry for us!!! This disturbingly doesn't last us long (hides face in shame) Let you know how we do with this situation soon.

4) South African food/takeaway is A.MASING! seriously stunned with the quality and high standard of food here. I'm flabbergasted! Fast food especially, since it needs to be quick. As someone who has lived in the UK for forever I just expect to get a sad looking burger from McDonalds, yet here WOW... compared to the UK! Even just regular eat in places, even more amazing guys! Once you eat food here you will never see a place like Frankie and Bennys AGAIN! I know I won't 0_0
I like food guys so before I ramble on again and again explaining how much I love the food here, let me move on. My favourite places here so far (from what I have tried) are Spur, Parrots, and Chesa Nyama. A parrots breakfast here in Parrots costs R17, which roughly amounts to £1.13. Could you get a breakfast for that in the UK?.. NO and even if you could you can't guarantee its not horse you're eating :p

5) I'm totally freaked out by this but here in South Africa seems like grown men to children just walk about without shoes on their feet, why? I just don't freakin know!!!!  For someone who finds toes incredibly creepy this is not good! Its also not good for someone who is very, very VERY clumsy. (Runs over some poor guys foot with my shopping trolley) Yeah it happened!.... I wasn't popular.. OOPS.

So these are a few changes I am having to get used to. It appears I am already used to the hot lovely sunny forecast I wake up to every single day... AND NO RAIN ;) I think I can get seriously used to this guys. If you have any questions please feel free to ask away :) Also hope you found this post interesting.

See ya!
Toki

No comments:

Post a Comment